-->

Wild Things of Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park - A Photo Essay

The low lying mist almost kissed the ground, the water and the grass. Through the mist, an orange glow slowly made its way coloring everything in its path into a shade of bright burning seinna. The jungle no longer looked eerie, it glowed along with the sun. The lazy mist would now slowly start drifting away. The animals, they would come and bask in the sunshine, just like me. Except I wasn't suited at all to be there, unlike the animals who were well-equipped to deal with the cold. It was freezing in the jungle, but with views like this I don't mind freezing some more and then some more.

When the good folks at Pugdundee Safaris invited me to spend a week in the forests of Madhya Pradesh, at first, I was very apprehensive. One, because I wasn't all that much into wildlife tourism at all. Two, because I am not a wildlife photographer. But then I realized I didn't have to be interested in wildlife tourism as long as I enjoy being in the forests and that I also didn't need to be a wildlife photographer to capture the beauty of wildlife. I loved shooting animals in their natural environment. They were part an equal part of the landscape I so dearly loved! When I put this thought together everything changed. Suddenly I was in love with shooting wildlife too, not the characterless close-ups but the grace with which they moved around in their home, our beloved forests.

At the end of a week, I felt a week was too short. With a heavy heart I left Kanha and Bandhavgarh but I brought back some splendid memories - for both you and me! :)

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
The much awaited breaking dawn, it would warm the cockles of my heart! No seriously, to be in an open jeep like this through the single digit temperatures was a chilling experience, quite literally! :)
But look how pretty the sun colored the forest! 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
As a kid, I always thought deer looked pretty. But they didn't look so pretty when I saw in the Zoo or by the road side but here in the jungle, I finally understood. They are indeed one of the most beautiful and graceful animals.  Not to mention, they play a very critical role in keeping the predators alive. 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Even as we were just approaching Kanha, we saw a Jackal disappear into the forest. The next morning, the first thing we saw were this group of Jackals in Kanha. And after a week, on the last night their shiny eyes glowed in the dark as the vehicle headlight flashed. They came back to say goodbye to me, in Bandhavgarh. ❤ 


Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
The different ways you could explore the forest. I only went in the jeep though. I felt too bad for the elephants.   

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Cute bird whose name I do not know came and sat next to us balancing ever so lightly on this twig. Everything around me was bathed in orange, beautifully. Notice the dew drops on the twig, the bird and blurred everywhere in the background? Love. 


Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
What do you do when such a cute fellow blocks your way? :)
You just wait and watch in awe!   


Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Look who's watching you, from behind the green grass, in a not so inconspicuous way - The Indian Gaur!

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Who doesn't love to bask in sunshine? This Langur sure is enjoying the warmth and look how it glows! :)


Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
A duck finds a moment of peace away from its herd. The mist, oh my god, I have never been more awed by anything in the recent past. What a magical sight it was - watch the mist glide over water, watch it slowly rise and disappear.

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
The rainbow colors of the Indian Roller, it is quite a sight to watch it fly away because that's when it is at its colorful best but this is no less either. 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Loved stalking this bee-eater through the trees, loved this angle too. Loved being there that morning sipping hot tea and photographing this bird. 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Rose ringed Parakeet, I think, but look how pretty! :D

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
It would've been awesome if a Tiger would've come walking on this path while we were there, except that it didn't. It did so before we were there. 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Never done that before, but birdwatching was quite fun too! Here's a kingfisher looking pretty. I know I am saying pretty way too many times, but words fall short to describe the awesomeness of these wild things. :)

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Here's our National Bird, exploring the tree branches. Never seen a peacock earlier high up in a tree! Have you?

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Kanha was full of these pink grasslands! There used to be 40 odd villages inside Kanha National Park. Many of them are now relocated to outside the park but the once where villages were, the jungles can't grow anymore. All those villages are now vast meadows making the park extremely beautiful and making it wonderfully simpler to watch wildlife without the obstruction of the dense jungle!

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
The fairytale landscape of Kanha!

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Lake hunting in Kanha, this was just next to the Kanha Earth Lodge where I stayed. Watching the sunset turn everything pink, as always, was a surreal experience. 

Kanha & Bandhavgarh National Park
Here's a Sambar looking at us intruders. 

And now I am looking at you eagerly, to hear your comments. How did you like this virtual Jungle Safari? :)

Previous Posts:
The Forests of Kanha - Instagrammed!
Living with the Tiger

Note - I was on this trip last month with Pugdundee Safaris, on-invitation. 
Pugdundee Safaris have properties in Kanha, Bandhavgarh, Panna, Pench and Satpura. They have been recognized as one of India's leading responsible safari companies and have been awarded for their excellence in eco-tourism, commitment to green architecture, their experienced naturalists. I had a wonderful time exploring Kanha and Bandhavgarh with them. Do check them out. 

No comments